Thursday, May 23, 2013

Plastic Free

I'm in the process of taking the Plastic Waste Challenge from Beth Terry's website.  www.myplasticfreelife.com  Some information about my first week is below:



What suggestions would you like from the group to reduce your plastic waste?
How can I cut down my individual consumable items such as string cheese? Also since I work crazy hours (it's D.C.) what convenience foods are available that have no plastic?
Week Number
1
List of plastic items you REFUSED this week. (Thanks!)
Lids
Straws
Plastic Utensils
plastic bags
Total number of plastic items in your stash
36
List of recyclable items
3 water bottles
3 Mountain Dew Bottles
1 Gallon Sweet Tea
1 Tide Detergent Bottle
1 Bottle Conditioner
2 Bottle Shampoo
1 Box pasta noodles (plastic window)
1 McDonalds Cup
1 ice pack container
List of non-recyclable items or those you are unsure of
4 Straws
2 Styrofoam Cups
1 Candle lighter package
1 Hair Accessory Package
1 Pore Strip Packaging
3 Granola Bar packages
1 ramen package
1 bread plastic
plastic package for fresh Parsley
plastic six-pack ring
1 bag shredded cheese
1 individual string cheese wrapper
1 oatmeal lid
1 bag Doritos
1 bag Ruffles potato chips
1 styrofoam take out container (not pictured)
What items could I easily replace with plastic-free or less plastic alternatives?
Drink items can be stored in reusable stainless steel bottles
Straws can be replaced with a glass straw
Plastic Utensils can be replaced with metal utensils
Shampoo and Conditioner can be replaced with No-Poo (currently trying it, but not loving it)
What items would I be willing to give up if a plastic-free alternative doesn’t exist?
Granola Bars (though I would want another fast snack)
String Cheese
Chips (these were leftovers from a camping trip)
Bills or other mail with plastic windows
candle lighter (I could use matches
What items are essential and seem to have no plastic-free alternative?
trash bags (my roommates aren't open to the idea of composting)
What lifestyle change(s) might be necessary to reduce my plastic consumption?
I need to change my eating and cooking habits. I work a lot of weird hours for my job and most of the time I don't have the chance to cook and it look for convenience foods.
I should look into bringing my own to-go containers with me.
What one plastic item am I willing to give up or replace this week?
This week I changed from using plastic utensils and paper plates at work to bringing my own dish and utensils.
I want to look into using bulk bins more, though this will take extra planning since I've never made items like dry beans before.
What other conclusions, if any, can I draw?
Most of the plastic I use is for convenience items. To make big plastic changes in my life I need to make sure that I plan my meals and time to fit this lifestyle.
Post Tags

  • plastic bags
  • plastic bottles
  • plastic caps
  • plastic containers
  • plastic envelope windows
  • plastic lids
  • plastic packaging
  • plastic straws
  • plastic utensils
  • plastic wrappers
  • Styrofoam cups
  • Styrofoam packaging
  • plastic trash
  • plastic waste
  • plastic challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment